<![CDATA[We didn’t think there was anyone more excited than us about the upcoming release of Alice Through the Looking Glass… until we came across makeup artist AnglieCle’s amazing series of Alice-inspired looks on Instagram. When we found out CostumeBox is her go-to for character costumes, we figured it was a match made in Wonderland. Check out her step-by-step guide to creating a Queen of Hearts look that deserves a crown.
Here are the products you’ll need to create AngieCle’s look:
A small amount of alcohol for cleansing
Craft Glue Stick
Setting Powder (such as Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder)
Full coverage foundation (AngieCle uses Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover- 1N3)
Clown White Lite Make Up
Eyeshadow in dark blue, light blue, grey and white (AngieCle uses Bossy Bobbi from The Balm Shady Lady Palate Vol2 and Napoleon Perdis Colour Discs in Azure Oasis, Midnight Express and Skinny Dip)
Black liquid eyeliner (AngieCle uses NYC Liquid Liner)
Finishing Spray (AngieCle uses Mac Fix+)
2 pairs of false eyelashes (AngieCle uses Miranda Glam lashes by Manicare for the upper lashes and Daiso lashes for the lower)
Black mascara (AngieCle uses Giorgio Armani Ecstasy Mascara)
Red lipliner (AngieCle uses Napoleon Perdis Lip Liner in Rocco Red)
Red lipstick (AngieCle uses Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro 400)
Contour powder (AngieCle uses SmashBox Contour Palatte)
1. Start by cleansing with a small amount of alcohol to ensure your face is completely free of oils, paying special attention to your eyebrows.
2. Take a regular glue stick and swipe it across your eyebrows, going against the grain from the outer corners towards your nose to make sure you get to the roots of your eyebrow hair.
3. Swipe the glue stick back in the opposite direction, pushing the hairs up and out. Repeat the process 2-3 times until you can no longer feel texture in your eyebrow hair.
4. Apply setting powder to your brows with a sponge to set the glue and create a smooth base.
5. Use an orange lipliner to colour over the top of your brows. This will help to hide the brows when you apply your foundation.
6. Apply a full-coverage foundation over the top of your brows. Do not worry about fulling blending in the foundation just yet.
7. Apply primer to the rest of the face, then apply a layer of full-coverage foundation to the face and neck, including your lips and eyelids.
8. Using a buffing brush, apply extra foundation around your eyebrows so they blend in with the rest of your face.
9. Gently apply a layer of white face paint over the top of your foundation, then follow with a light layer of setting powder.
10. Wet an eyeliner brush and draw an outline with blue eyeshadow from the upper lashline around the top of your natural browline.
11. Use an eyeshadow brush to dip in your blue eyeshadow, then spray the brush lightly with setting spray. Fill in the outline by building up the colour, layer by layer until it looks opaque.
12. Take a slightly darker shade of blue and apply to the crease of your lids, then blend.
13. Use a liquid eyeliner to draw a thin line at the top of the eyeshadow for the Queen’s brows, tapering off at the ends.
14. Line your top lashline with the liquid liner.
15. Using a charcoal grey eyeshadow, shade in the lower crease of your eyes, creating a line with the shadow about 0.5cm from the lower lashline.
16. Wet an angled brush with water, dip it in the white face paint, then line your lower waterline.
17. Take a little more face paint, this time on an eyeshadow brush, and blend the white out from the lower waterline to the grey line you created in Step 15. Set the white face paint with white or bone coloured eyeshadow.
18. Apply false lashes to your top lashline.
19. Use smaller false lashes for your bottom lashes and attach them to the grey line you drew rather than your natural lashline to create the wide-eyed look.
20. Use a red lipliner to draw in the bow of your lips and create a heart shape. Fill in the outline with red lipstick.
21. Add in the Queen’s beauty spot with black liquid liner.
22. Contour lightly with a cool-brown powder under the cheekbones.
23. Add your wig and costume and you’re ready to reign!
AngieCle wears our Disney Red Queen of Hearts Women’s Costume.
Check out the full video below, and don’t forget to enter our competition on Facebook to win tickets to see Alice Through the Looking Glass.